Happy Tuesday, dear ones! Today’s theme for Top Ten Tuesday is books that surprised us, and I confess not knowing which direction to take. But I decided to just go with the prompt as-is today and talk about books that really did surprise me. In a good way. Something, I might add, that is difficult to do at this point 😉 so these authors deserve lots of kudos for sneaking up on me with certain plot points!
Clicking on the cover will take you to Amazon. Affiliate links may be used, at no cost to you.
1. The Outsider by Ann H. Gabhart / What surprised me: the Shaker doctrine. This series is based on the Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, which is a few miles from my house, a place I have regularly visited. Reading these books (beginning with The Outsider) opened my eyes to the seriously misguided & harmful doctrine of the Shakers. I had no idea!
2. The Cantaloupe Thief by Deb Richardson-Moore / What surprised me: Whodunit.
3. The Cautious Maiden by Dawn Crandall / What surprised me: The hero. After hating Vance Everstone in The Bound Heart, I had no idea how I could ever possibly embrace him as the hero of The Cautious Maiden. Boy, was I wrong! Be still my book-boyfriend-collecting heart!!!!
4. The Name I Call Myself by Beth Moran / What surprised me: The genre. I was expecting a romcom but instead was treated to a compelling women’s fiction with a hint of romance.
5. Better Together by Kimberly Stuart / What surprised me: How much I enjoyed it. I don’t typically love stories about already-married couples (at least not as much as I love my KissingBooks) but this one was just delightful
6. You’re the Cream in My Coffee by Jennifer Lamont Leo / What surprised me: How much I enjoyed it. The Roaring Twenties are probably my least favorite era to read about but this book completely captivated and entertained me!
7. Freedom’s Ring by Heidi Chiavaroli / What surprised me: A certain plot twist (I seriously can’t say more than that. But it’s SO good!)
8. A Borrowed Dream by Amanda Cabot / What surprised me: A stunning turn of events (I literally gasped out loud)
9. The Space Between Words by Michele Phoenix / What surprised me: One plot twist absolutely gut-punched me. I love this book!
10. If I Live by Terri Blackstock / What surprised me: Plot twists around every corner – I could not put this one down!
What about you? Which books have surprised you recently?
Bloggers! Bookstagrammers! Social Media Peeps! Sign up for these tours today!