Welcome to my stop on the Blog Tour & Giveaway for Lu by Beth Troy, hosted by JustRead Publicity Tours! This book is, hands down, one of the BEST & most unique debut novels that I’ve ever read!
Author: Beth Troy
Publisher: Kingsbury Publishing
Release Date: June 21, 2017
Genre: Inspirational Women’s Fiction
Are we the sum of our circumstances or is there … more?
In a debut novel readers are calling “true to life,” “captivating,” and “cleverly written,” author Beth Troy takes on the story of Lu Sokolowski and her life upended. Lu’s plans have turned sideways, taking her back to the family and town she always planned to leave.
Lu is a modern woman’s honest journey to faith, that unapologetically addresses:
•The big questions women ask about their beliefs.
•The struggles women face in creating a fulfilling life.
•The complexity of family relationships.
•The tension between hope and reality.
Lu is a story for readers looking for real growth in relatable characters who aren’t afraid to ask real questions. It’s for women who want to experience the full spectrum of who they are and what they believe. It’s for women who want a story about how faith integrates into the whole life of a woman. You will want to share this story with a friend – after you read it again yourself.
amazon affiliate link used
behind-the-scenes facts & tidbits
by Beth Troy, author of Lu
Some little known facts about Beth Troy
- I have one tattoo and want five more, plus a nose ring.
- I like to wake up and go to bed with the sun, which makes for some long days in the summer!
- I love to send people handwritten cards, but no one can read my handwriting.
- I didn’t know my hair was naturally curly until I was in middle school.
- My favorite pie is rhubarb (without strawberries).
- My favorite all-time reads are Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, Charms for the Easy Life, by Kaye Gibbons, and Animal Dreams, by Barbara Kingsolver. My favorite recent reads are The Library Book, by Susan Orlean, and Crossing to Safety, by Wallace Stegner (which is not new, just new to me!)
- The first book I loved…And I’m back to Little Women! Those characters are rich! They are the story. They are unexpected. I still love it so much.
Some behind the scenes facts about Lu
- I wrote Lu in three places: our local coffee shop, the library by my son’s preschool, and my living room.
- Lu’s infamous crockpot is based on my mom’s and is now sitting in my writing room closet.
- Lu’s last name, Sokolowski, is in honor of my favorite Polish restaurant in Cleveland – Sokolowski’s University Inn.
- Lu’s car is based on my first car – a Cutlass Sierra I purchased for $800 and paid $800 to much for!
- The town’s name, Dunlap’s Creek, is based on one of my favorite hymns.
- I have the playlist on Spotify under “Lu Soundtrack” and it’s a little alternative, some bluegrass, some singer/songwriter, and a touch of pop. If I were to put one song to the book, it would be “Down in the Valley” by the Head and the Heart.
- Dunlap’s Creek is a small town – picturesque or provincial, depending on how you look at it. Think of those small, university towns you’ve uncovered along a midwestern or northeastern biway. Do you have it? Great! Now take away the university, and you have Dunlap’s Creek!
Something I learned while writing Lu
God’s call includes a what and a when, and when He makes both clear, it’s go-time, regardless of whether you feel qualified. Faith and confidence aren’t handed over at the start – they build through the process.
Favorite quote from the book
Lu is dialogue-heavy because A) I’m chatty and B) what we say says a lot about us. One of my favorite interchanges is at the start between Lu and her grandma, Pat:
“Can someone please turn that racket off?”
“The pierogies need the encouragement that opera provides,” Grandma Pat responded.
“Aren’t pierogies a Polish thing? You should play polka,” I said.
“Dough is universal.”
Ah. Pierogies without borders.
Beth Troy is a writer and educator who teaches courses in Creativity & Innovation and Women & Entrepreneurship at Miami University. Her first novel, Lu, is a modern woman’s journey back to her family, her faith, and herself. Beth will be publishing the sequel in Summer 2020.
Beth lives in Ohio with her husband and three sons. Go to her site or follow her on Instagram to read more about her life and writing.
(1) winner will receive a bookish library card mug!
Be sure to check out each stop on the tour for more chances to win. Full tour schedule linked below. Giveaway will begin at midnight May 12, 2020 and last through 11:59 PM EST on May 19, 2020. Winner will be notified within 2 weeks of close of the giveaway and given 48 hours to respond or risk forfeiture of prize. Void where prohibited by law or logistics.
Giveaway is subject to the policies found here.
This giveaway is hosted by JustRead Tours, not RimSP
Follow along with the tour by clicking the banner below
*NOTE: This post contains affiliate links.
What about you? What makes you want to read Lu? What behind the scenes fact that Beth Troy shared did you enjoy the most? (PS – i love the pierogies without borders exchange haha!)