I’m so excited to have Elizabeth Goddard on the blog today to share some behind the scenes facts about her new romantic suspense, Present Danger!
SERIES: Rocky Mountain Courage #1
GENRE: Inspirational Romantic Suspense
RELEASE DATE: April 6, 2021
Former FBI Special Agent Jack Tanner is working as a detective in Montana when he comes across a body in the national forest during a search and rescue mission. He’s committed to finding the killer, even if it means working alongside his old flame, US Forest Service Special Agent Terra Connors.
When Terra discovers that the murder victim had ties to a powerful and dangerous trafficker of archaeological artifacts, the investigation takes a deadly turn–one that hits too close to home. As Terra fears she lacks the courage to face what comes next, Jack is more determined than ever to protect her. But he’s failed her before. And if he fails this time, it will cost them far more than just their hearts.
Join bestselling and award-winning author Elizabeth Goddard as she plunges you into a web of deceit made of hidden crimes, open threats, and long-buried family secrets in this gripping first book of an explosive new series.
Ten Behind-the-Scenes Facts
by Elizabeth Goddard, author of Present Danger
1. Present Danger is the first book in the Rocky Mountain Courage series. Readers will meet three friends who bonded over a tragedy that happened during their teenage years. Their loved-ones died during a SAR mission on the mountain. A memorial was created in their memory—the Rocky Mountain Courage Memorial. There are many such memorials, but I first came across the Mount Rainier National Park Valor Memorial and came up with the idea for my series from this memorial. Their website states the memorial is “dedicated to five park employees who lost their lives while in the line of duty at Mount Rainier National Park. Their service and sacrifice will never be forgotten.”
2. A minor character from Don’t Keep Silent (book 3 in Uncommon Justice) is the main character in Present Danger.
3. Present Danger is set in a fictional town called Big Rapids, Montana. I used to buy my groceries in Big Rapids, Michigan.
4. Big Rapids, Montana is set in a fictional county called Grayback. The Grayback River, also fictional, plays a role in the Uncommon Justice series set in the Jackson Hole area of Wyoming. I pictured the Yellowstone River, an actual river that cuts through Montana and Yellowstone National park in Wyoming, when creating the Grayback River.
5. Nadine’s story of the dog who lost his boy is based on a real story shared by a dear friend from Michigan.
6. The main character, Terra Connors, is a Special Agent, working for the Law Enforcement and Investigations Division of the U.S. Forest Service—a little known division. Fortunately, I was able to connect with the Special Agent in Charge of the region. He answered all my questions and even brainstormed with me!
7. A lot of fascinating facts came to light during my research about archaeological artifacts, and also, it’s against the law to keep an Eagle’s feather. There are exceptions and complicated rules and a huge fine too.
8. I had a lot of fun coming up with a way for my characters in Don’t Keep Silent (Uncommon Justice 3) to show up in Present Danger, and it plays so well into the archaeological aspects of the story. But I don’t want to give anything away.
9. I decided that my first chapter was boring, so I rewrote it, actually coming up with an entirely new scene and introducing a new character. In doing so, though, the story was changed more than I expected. After all, I had to fit this new character into all my plans. But that opened up so many unexpected twists and turns. It was totally worth it.
10. I left a note to the reader in the back explaining that my premise was based on reality since some readers might not be aware of certain happenings. Ahem. . . I’d love to say more, but that would be a spoiler to some of the big twists in the story.
Elizabeth Goddard has sold over one million books and is the award–winning author of more than fifty novels and counting, including the romantic mystery The Camera Never Lies—a 2011 Carol Award winner. She is a Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery and Suspense finalist for her Mountain Cove series—Buried, Backfire, and Deception—and a Carol Award finalist for Submerged. When she’s not writing, she loves spending time with her family, traveling to find inspiration for her next book, and serving with her husband in ministry. For more information about her books, visit her website at www.ElizabethGoddard.com.
Revell is offering a print copy of Present Danger by Elizabeth Goddard to THREE of my readers! (US only. Void where prohibited by law or logistics.) This giveaway is subject to Reading Is My SuperPower’s giveaway policies which can be found here. Enter via the Rafflecopter form below.
What about you? What makes you want to read Present Danger by Elizabeth Goddard? Which behind the scenes fact interested you the most?